In a statement released on Friday, May 12th, the World Health Organization (WHO) said that it had been informed by the Minister of Public Health of the DRC, Dr. Oly Ilunga Kalenga, of the outbreak of the disease of Ebola Virus in the health zone of Likati, in the province of Bas-Uélé.
From five blood samples taken from suspected cases and analyzed at the INRB (National Institute for Biomedical Research), one was positive for Ebola virus, serotype Zaire by RT-PCR, » said Minister of Health in a correspondence addressed to the WHO Representative in the DRC.
In its message published on Thursday, the Minister of Health said that since 22 April 2017, from nine cases of hemorrhagic fever, two deaths have been reported to Likati.
« Our country is facing the epidemic of the Ebola virus, which is a public health emergency of international concern, » noted Dr. Oly Ilunga.
He also said that the Ministry of Health had « taken all necessary measures to respond promptly and effectively to this new epidemic of the Ebola virus ».
According to the WHO, the Congolese minister has asked for his « support » to « strengthen the response to this epidemic ».
WHO says it works « in close collaboration with all national and provincial authorities, as well as with the support of the Regional Office (AFRO), Headquarters (Geneva) and all other partners to facilitate the deployment of protection materials and field staff in order to strengthen epidemiological surveillance and control the epidemic very quickly.
To prevent Ebola Virus, please use the WHO clinical care for survivors of Ebola virus desease guide
Source: Radio Okapi