Head of Projects-based Field Office, P4, Kananga, DRC
Closing date: Monday, 16 October 2023
Job Identification : 13769
Locations : Kananga,
Posting Date : 10/09/2023, 02:37 PM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
1) Office management:
- Ensures the smooth running of Office including good management and supervision of staff, finance and administrative matters in accordance with relevant UNDP rules and procedures;
- Is accountable for the appropriate use and management of resources attributed to the Office and to the portfolio of the geographic area;
- Promotes team work, collaboration and synergies within his office among the project teams in his/her area of supervision and the program units at the Country Office level;
- Ensures timely and regular reporting.
2) Representation and Coordination :
- Under guidance of the DRR/P, represents UNDP in the region of Great Kasaï and provides the orientation of the UNDP at local level and supervises all activities of the office;
- Provides strong coordination support to UN Agencies, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) and national authorities through the establishment of a wider consultation process and appropriate fora to enhance coordination between humanitarian and transition-to-development partners, thus strengthening the links between relief, early recovery and development activities;
- Ensures proper support, coordination and inputs to the implementation of the PDL and of the strengthening of the governorate and the ministry of planning;
- Responsible for the coordination and of programs and projects;
- Provides support to overall resource mobilization efforts of the Country office in close coordination with the Program Units at the CO level.
3.) Program Development Strategic Analysis, Planning and Advice:
- Is responsible, in close collaboration with the relevant Program units at the Country Office level, for the implementation of the CO strategic direction and oversight and quality control of program;
- Advises the Country Office, national counterparts and other aid partners on policies and strategies to adequately respond to transitional recovery and development challenges and needs;
- Ensures identification and promotion of joint programming and planning opportunities.
- Coordinates with MONUSCO residual team, UN-organizations and other interventions at local level;
- Based on monitoring and evaluation of the recovery and development situation, provides programmatic responses to the deficits in these area;
- Promotes identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned for organizational sharing and learning.
4) Program Oversight, Quality Control and Assurance:
- Ensures proper implementation of programs based on continuous monitoring and analysis of (a) the most critical recovery and development needs, response capacities, access situation, operational environment and applicable security issues and (b) implementation progress of the programs in his/her geographic area;
- Leads the UNDP program and facilitates attainment of expected results in his/her geographic area in close collaboration with the Country Office;
- Ensures effective application of RBM tools, monitors field office and project unit work plans, program effectiveness and achievement of results;
- Ensures the integrity of financial systems, review of budget requirements and the consistent application or rules and regulations;
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Performs any other related task assigned by the supervisor.
The position directly supervises a diverse team of international and national staff comprised of both the different project managers attached to the unit and the unit management team. S/he ensures smooth collaboration with all members of the CO senior management and operations leads.
LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
Adapt with Agility
LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
Act with Determination
LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
Engage and Partner
LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
Enable Diversity and Inclusion
LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies (insert up to 7 competencies)
Thematic Area Name Definition
Ability to represent UNDP and productively share UNDP knowledge and activities; advocate for UNDP, its values, mission, and work with various constituencies
Business Direction & Strategy
Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus at improved performance and demonstrable results
- Ability to select, prioritize and control the organization’s programmes and projects, in line with its strategic objectives and capacity; ability to balance the implementation of change initiatives and the maintenance of business-as-usual, while optimizing return on investment
Ability to engage with a wide range of public and private partners, build, sustain and/or strengthen working relations, trust and mutual understanding
Ability to identify funding sources, match funding needs (programmes/projects/initiatives) with funding opportunities, and establish a plan to meet funding requirements
People strategy and planning
Knowledge of theories, mechanisms, and tools to analyze the current workforce, determine future workforce needs, as they align to the needs of the business, identify the gap between the present capabilities in the workforce and the organization’s needs, and design and implement talent acquisition and development solutions so that an organization can have the required capacity to accomplish its mission, goals, and strategic plan
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) preferably in political or social science, international studies, public administration, economics, or other related fields, OR
- A first-level university degree (bachelor’s degree) in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 7 years (with master’s degree) or 9 years (with bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible professional experience in recovery and development affairs, crisis response and prevention, recovery and development, or other related area is required.
- At least 3 to 5 years of senior-level management responsibilities of similar size and complexities is required.
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), and advanced knowledge of web-based management systems such as ERP is required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge of and exposure to a wide range of humanitarian assistance, emergency relief, human rights and development-related issues is desirable.
- Prior experience in analytical capacity, including the ability to analyze and articulate recovery and development dimensions and related issues that require a coordinated UN response is desirable.
- Demonstrate experience in identifying issues and to use sound judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve a wide range of problems required;
- Prior experience and good knowledge of the country and region of assignment, including the political, economic and social dimensions is desirable.
- Prior experience and knowledge of institutional mandates, policies and guidelines pertaining to recovery and development issues and sound knowledge of the institutions of the UN system is desirable.;
- Experience in international organization and familiarity with UNDP management system is highly desirable.
Pour plus de détail, cliquer sur Apply